Saturday, 21 February 2015

The Day Of The Accident: Part 5

Before the paramedics came I was quizzed about any phone numbers I knew so they could call my parents. All I knew was that my mum was shopping in the town centre.

After what felt like 5 agonizing hours of pain we got news that an ambulance was on its way. Inside I was excited to be riding in an ambulance, as I had never been in one before.

Soon they were at the scene in less than 5 minutes. They had to act fast though because my left arm was starting to go black. This meant my blood circulation was being cut off.

Not long after the paramedics came my mum arrived. Luckily she had been on her way back and had spotted the ambulance. She told me she instantly knew it was for me. Not because I’m clumsy but because I was the only one in my class doing any life threatening moves.   

The first thing the paramedics did was ask what hurt and how much. I told them my left arm hurt (but I guess that was obvious to everyone seen as though the bone was sticking out) and I also told them that my right elbow hurt too. When I told them it hurt more than my left they looked at me like I was crazy but it was true! Next they checked for any other injuries by pressing on my legs and shoulders. Fortunately, I had no spinal injuries or other injuries. 

Looking forward to the ambulance ride I tried to relax as best as I could. They couldn’t go yet though because they needed to move me off the trampoline and more importantly save my left arm. To save my arm they were going to have to manually push it back into place, which could potentially cause me immense pain. I had to be brave so I braced myself and waited. Before they began I was provided with gas, which acted like a painkiller. Reluctantly, I took the gas through a tube. The tube tasted strongly like disinfectant and the gas made my throat dry.

My little sister hadn’t returned and the other two in my class watched me, petrified. The paramedics warned them I might scream when they put my arm back and insisted they should leave.

When they pushed my arm back into place I didn’t scream at all and due to the gas my whole body was numb and I felt fuzzy. The only recollection of having my left arm straightened was a thundering crack of my bone. Apparently that was the worst over and before I knew it medics were wheeling me on a bed with my mum following behind.